Tuesday, February 10, 2009

33-Hour Meals

OK, so Rachel Ray I'm not. It just took me 33 hours to make this pan of scalloped potatoes and ham.

They look delish, don't they? But let's face it, this is not a dish that requires 33 hours to make. Unless you have triplets.

I took the potatoes out yesterday morning about 8 a.m., thinking I'd get my potatoes washed and peeled and maybe even sliced before the 9:30 feeding. HA! Jeff finally helped me wash and peel the potatoes last night at 9:30 p.m. That's the first 12 hours of meal prep.

You could exclude the next 7 hours, as it was sleeping time, which would make this a 26-hour dish. (That sounds soooo much better, don't you think?) I finally got the potatoes sliced and parboiled just before the 3:30 p.m. feeding today, and managed to throw the ham, chives, garlic and sauce on them just before they had to go in the oven at 5:30 p.m. I did that part while I had various boys on my shoulder settling down for their naps. Nap time has not gone particularly well yesterday or today, which contributed to the lengthy potato prep time.

On the other hand, in the time it took me to make these potatoes I fed three boys 10 times, put them down for 9 naps, washed, dried and folded 6 loads of laundry, washed more bottles than I care to think about, pumped milk 6 times, took the boys for a walk, made a different dish for supper last night, gave Amelia a bath and read her bedtime stories, and showered twice.

Phew! Maybe 26 hours of prep time wasn't so bad after all.

These potatoes had better be darn good...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

They Rocked!!! (and I am not just saying that because of your threats!)

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Thanks, Sarah. My readers have to understand that Sarah and Jeff were under orders to make yummy noises no matter what the potatoes tasted like! Though I agree, they were pretty darn tasty.