Thursday, July 21, 2011

Turn of the Century StairMaster

When we trekked back to the Great Frozen North for Jeff's sister's wedding, we stayed in a 1901 house that's now a guest house. There was plenty of room for us and some other members of his family.

It was three floors plus a basement, and those glorious high ceilings translated to steep, steep stairs. I mean break-your-neck stairs! Unfortunately, there were two sets, which meant I chased kids up and down and in circles the whole time we were there.

My backside and thighs hurt for three days after we left.

We did like the really cool lions out front, though. (I wish Blogger would let me include that picture tonight. *sigh*)

If it hadn't been a million degrees and humid, we might have gotten better pics. Yes, hot and humid. Unusual for the Frozen North, and no doubt the cause of the major storm that sent us to the basement on our first night there.

I woke up about 3 a.m. when the wind picked up. We were on the second floor in a house high on a hill, so at first I thought that might be why the wind sounded so bad. Then it started to rain. Then it started to hail. Right after I told Jeff I was going downstairs to check the weather, the power went out and the tornado sirens blew.

We each grabbed two kids, and made our way down those steep stairs in the pitch dark. I sat on my bottom, because there was no way I could carry Amelia and Sam safely any other way. We spent the next couple hours on the braided rug and the concrete floor in a sitting room in the basement. I don't know if any of the kids really slept. Jeff and I certainly didn't.

When we finally headed back upstairs, it was 5:30 in the morning. Jeff and I laid back down on the floor with the kids to help them back to sleep, and Isaac finally gave up at 6:30 a.m. Alex, who conked out immediately at 5:30 woke at 6:45 as usual. OUCH.

We expected to have a few short nights while we were there, but because we were having FUN, not because we were holed up in the basement waiting out a storm!

There were a lot of trees down around town, but thankfully no major damage. It was an inauspicious start to a great weekend full of family and fun.
More on that later...

© Trippin' Mama 2011

No comments: