Saturday, December 5, 2009

Walnut Crescent Cookies

I've recently bought enough butter to keep a small dairy in business.

(You're welcome, Gretchen & Brian!)

"Why?" you ask?

Because it's Christmas time, and for me that means an all-out, guilt-free, real ingredients-only baking fest. If I'm going to take the time to bake, I'm using the good stuff, baby! Nothing puts me in the holiday mood like 15 pounds of butter, enough sugar and flour to cover my lawn, and chocolate galore!

The smells emanating from my oven are heavenly. Mouth watering. Glorious.

And in the Christmas spirit, I'm going to share some of my favorite recipes with you!

Today's recipe is for Walnut Crescents. These little beauties are similar to Mexican Wedding Cakes, and are buttery, crumbly goodness.

One of the things I love about these cookies is that they are simple. No frosting or decorating required. Yes, you do have to roll the dough in long ropes and cut it, but that's as easy as playing with play-do. If you have kids, they will love helping with that step.

I also love that the recipe does not include any chocolate. I know, I know. I have professed my love of chocolate in the past, and I'm not changing my stance that it should be a major food group. But, variety is nice, and these crescents will round out your cookie plate nicely.

So without further ado, here is the recipe:

Walnut Crescents
1/2 C. butter
1/2 C. Crisco (Save yourself the hassle and buy the sticks.)
1/3 C. sugar
2 tsp. cold water
2 tsp. vanilla (Buy the real stuff. It's more expensive, but better tasting and better for you.)
2 C. flour
1/2 C. finely chopped walnuts (You can use black walnuts, which have a stronger flavor.)
Powdered sugar

Cream butter, Crisco and sugar. Mix in water, vanilla and then flour and nuts. Chill for 3-4 hours. Form dough into long rolls, a half inch across. Cut in 3-inch lengths and shape into crescents.

If your dough ropes start to fall apart just stick them back together. We're not after perfection here, and the powdered sugar coating will hide some of those flaws. If all else fails, put your dough back in the fridge for another 15-20 minutes.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets in a 325 degree oven for 15 minutes. Do NOT brown. Remove, cool slightly, and roll in powdered sugar.

Makes 4 dozen.

Bake them. Enjoy them. Share them if you have any left.

Stay tuned for more. Amelia's apron will be getting a real workout this season!

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Thank you for your support!

Judy said...

You inspired me. I pulled the crescent cookie from my recipe box. Still in my 9th grade handwriting. Don't think I've made these in 10 years. Also found the coconut jam filled recipe. Mmmmmmm good!