Thursday, July 9, 2009

Quite A Trip

Ever since we got back, everyone has wanted to know, "How was your vacation?" But as anyone who has traveled with small children and four tons of equipment knows, it's not really a vacation...but it was still quite a trip!

In my previous post, I offered video evidence that you can travel with 9-month-old triplets and a three-year-old and get a little quiet time along the way. Honestly, everyone traveled great. We fed bottles as we drove and played a lot of peek-a-boo from the back seat to the middle seat to entertain the little ones. But they were all real champs about the 2,000-miles of driving.

I'm realistic enough not to expect a repeat of that, but just glad to have survived this first venture relatively unscathed.

I made a few adjustments to my seven-page packing list when I got home. Some things I wished we'd had and a few that we shouldn't have bothered to pack. Next time I'll cut the amount that we pack by a third and get MY golf clubs in along with Jeff's.

At the top of my new list is: SHERPA.

Seriously, it would have been worth every dime to get someone to help schlep all our stuff! Every time we arrived at a new destination -- something we did FIVE times in the course of ten days -- we hauled three high chairs, two pack-n-plays, one child's tent, blankets, pacifiers, diapers, a suitcase, toys and more out of the van. Then we unpacked and assembled for the night. A day or two later we reversed the whole process. More than once I thought a Sherpa would have been a good investment.

On the plus side, we certainly didn't need to count any calories while we were traveling!

Here are a few more pics of the family.

Jeff and his siblings show off the twins and triplets: Jeff with Alex, Susie with Sam, Amy with Clare, Allie with Isaac, and Jacob with Isabel.

Amelia and her godparents, Dave and Amy.


My Uncle Virgil and Aunt Illa with the boys: Alex, Sam and Isaac.

No comments: