Wednesday, January 19, 2011

You're Fired!


Today was one of those tough days. Very, very tough days. It actually started last night with a rough bedtime for one of the kids.

That was followed by another too-early morning. And the need to send more than one child back to bed for an attitude adjustment.

Things evened out for a while, and I tried. I really, really tried. But as the day went on, it went downhill.

There were time outs and yelling. Lots of time outs. Way too much yelling.

I kept taking a deep breath and trying to do better, but at every turn it seemed someone was doing something they'd already been reprimanded for. And I found myself yelling again.

Someone stuck stickers to the floor instead of the paper. Someone ate big chunks of Play-Doh. Someone colored on a wall. Someone knocked over all the pictures on the table. Someone took a large bottle of vinegar from the cupboard and spilled all over the floor. Someone threw food all over the floor AGAIN. And somehow one of the boys dug a steak knife out of the  very back of the highest drawer.

There were tears and fits. And a few of them were mine.

Quite simply, it was the kind of day that makes me feel like a failure as a mom. Because if anyone charged with caring for my children yelled at them as much as I did today, I'd fire them.

So tonight I'm firing me, at least for the next (hopefully) nine hours. I'm lecturing myself about shaking it off and having a better attitude. And I'm sending me straight to bed at 9 p.m.

Good night all. Here's to a better tomorrow.


© Trippin' Mama 2011

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a full moon and the weather was changing.

Anonymous said...

Oh no... I'm sorry it was such a tough day! Give yourself a break - You are an amazing mom!
andrea

Anonymous said...

Oh no... I'm sorry it was such a tough day! Give yourself a break - You are an amazing mom!
andrea

Uncle Dave said...

We had a few of those days with 4 kids under 6. The bad thing about that is the older ones become instigators. Have the boys started having "pee sword" fights...just wait.