Friday, October 15, 2010

The Family Photo Marathon


If you're looking for a recipe post, tune in tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a recap of today's adventures.

Today we had family pictures taken. The photo session went well, considering the subjects included three energetic two-year-olds, but today was a piece of cake compared to getting everything ready ahead of time.

I now understand why my mother only had photos of the whole family taken twice when we were kids. I think I was two the first time and eight the second time. She probably spent the intervening six years trying to find clothes that matched and fit everyone. We still talk about how my brother Paul wore red socks with his blue pants in the first family photo that included all eight of us kids.

We had our photos taken outside, so I put everyone in sweaters. Do you know how hard it is to find simple children's sweaters that are unadorned by poodles, ballet slippers, baseball gloves, cowboys and more? HARD! And coordinating clothes for six people was no easy task either. To top it all off, I was hemming jeans for the boys at 11 p.m. last night.

When we got up this morning it was clear that it was going to be a great day for pictures, but chilly. It was barely 50 degrees when we left the house. I wanted to make sure everyone was warm enough, so the boys all wore a pair of Amelia's old tights under their jeans. The ran around the house in their pink striped and heart-patterned tights shouting, "Ballerina! Ballerina!" as Jeff and I tried to get them dressed this morning. Don't worry, we made sure to pull their socks up high enough to cover up the girly tights.

I tried so hard to get everything ready in advance, but we still forgot Amelia's shoes and had to turn around to get them. She had pink shoes on, but we were all in browns and greens, and I wasn't about to repeat the red sock incident that haunted my mother.

Our photographers were great, the kids were fairly cooperative, and the scenery was glorious with the colors of fall. The kids chased each other around, throwing leaves and generally having a blast when we weren't coaxing them to sit still long enough for a couple shots.

Kurt and Laura were thrilled with the photos they got, so I can't wait to see them and share some with you. But now I'm headed for bed. I got up well before the crack of dawn this morning. It was painfully early, but on the plus side I did get to shower today!

Night all. 

© Trippin' Mama 2010

No comments: