Saturday, October 16, 2010

From My Kitchen: Southwestern Avocado Chicken Wrap


One particularly busy night I was hunting for a fast and easy meal for the WBH and me. The kids had eaten chicken and diced avocado for supper, so I grabbed the leftovers, added a few more ingredients and voila! My version of a Southwestern avocado chicken wrap was born. It's become a go-to meal for us lately.

This one is fast, easy and full of flavor. You can adjust the spiciness to your liking by throwing in some chipotle or cayenne, and even change up the ingredients a bit. Jeff prefers that I leave the red pepper out, and I'm sure it would be delicious with the addition of some black beans, onion, and/or tomatoes.

Here's how I make mine:

Southwestern Chicken Avocado Wrap
1 cup diced, cooked chicken
1 avocado, diced  
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
1/3 cup Southwestern salad dressing (I use Briannas Chipotle Cheddar)
Romaine lettuce
Flour tortillas

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. My big cheat is to use the frozen unbreaded chicken nuggets I buy for my kids, although I usually have cooked, diced chicken in the freezer. I like to cook a bunch of chicken up at once and freeze it in small batches to toss into casseroles, soups and this tasty wrap. You could also buy precooked chicken strips if you need to put this together super fast.

Combine the chicken with the avocado, pepper and sweet corn in a medium bowl. Pour dressing over and stir to coat. I don't like mine to be overpowered with dressing, so if the mixture isn't wet enough for your taste, just add some more.

To assemble the wrap, lay a Romaine lettuce leaf on a flour tortilla. I like to use Romaine for some crunch. Spoon filling onto the lettuce leaf, fold the bottom of the tortilla up and the fold the sides over. You could even skip the tortilla and just use lettuce leaves if you prefer.

It's that simple.

Enjoy!

© Trippin' Mama 2010

No comments: