Friday, March 4, 2011

From My Kitchen: Paper Bag Chicken


When Jeff and I were first married and living in England, money was tight. Really tight! One time my monthly stipend check was late, and we had to call home for money so we could buy groceries. Fortunately, we were young, in love, thrilled to be living there, and still in impoverished college student mode anyway.

And, fortunately, I knew how to cook some great inexpensive meals. One way we stretched our grocery money was to buy a whole chicken and squeeze at least three meals out of it. I'd roast it, then use the leftover meat in chicken enchiladas or a casserole, and then I'd make soup out of the carcass.

I prefer to roast my chicken in an oven bag because it stays so nice and moist, but we couldn't afford the bags. So I roasted my chicken under foil to keep it from drying out. I didn't have this recipe when we were overseas, or I would have used it! The brown paper bag keeps the chicken juicy and moist, and the seasoning is delish. This recipe came from a former co-worker of mine.


Paper Bag Chicken
6-lb. oven stuffer/roaster chicken
1 rounded teaspoon garlic salt
1 rounded teaspoon onion salt
1 rounded teaspoon celery salt

Clean chicken. Combine salts and rub into the skin of the chicken. Place chicken in brown grocery bag. Staple shut or fold and tuck under chicken. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet.

Bake for 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours at 400 degrees. When done, carefully cut open the bag and carve the chicken.

It takes just a couple of minutes to get this ready to go in the oven, and the results are delicious.

Enjoy!

© Trippin' Mama 2011

No comments: