Friday, March 11, 2011

Anniversary of the Big News


Typically I post a recipe on Friday, but today I have to remember a very important day for us instead. I sometimes will work that into a recipe post, but I can't come up with an appropriate item to offer up with the contents of this post. Three servings of pickles and ice cream? A stiff drink?

Yesterday marks the three-year anniversary of the day Jeff and I learned we were not expecting Baby Number 2, but Babies Number 2, 3 AND 4.

So when I woke up, I rolled over and told Jeff that every March 10 we should celebrate the fact that I am alive and the shock of that news didn't kill me.

There are many, many things I can't remember from my pregnancy and the first year of the boys' lives, but I will never forget the moment when the ultrasound tech said, "I see three." If I live to be 100, I will recall that with perfect clarity.

There is a story about that day that I haven't told here, and it really deserves to be told.

Before we had our ultrasound I had called my mom and told her that based on my hormone levels, the doctor thought I might be having multiples. She (a little jokingly, I believe) said, "Well, I'll come a week for each baby."

After Jeff and I left the doctor's office, I called my mom from the car. When she answered I said, "Mom, I need you to come for three weeks."

"Three weeks? Why would I come for three weeks?" she said.

I replied, "You said you'd come one week for each baby. I need you to come for three weeks."

I waited for the news to sink in.

"Why would I come for three weeks? Two babies, two weeks," my mom said, clearly baffled.

Clearly, she had twins on the brain.

"Mom, listen to me," I commanded. "Three babies. Three weeks."

Finally it registered. My mom hollered at my dad, who couldn't have been more than a few feet away, "She's having triplets!"

My Dad replied calmly, "I already figured that out."

Seems we weren't the only ones in shock over the big, big, big news!

But I lived to tell that tale, and I'm here to say what wonderful news it turned out to be.

Clockwise from top: Alex, Sam and Isaac ~ 3 days old


© Trippin' Mama 2011

1 comment:

Suzy said...

HA! That's awesome. I have a similar story about telling my grandpa the big news. :)