Friday, March 2, 2012

Serendipity

I am smiling as I write this, because today serendipity intervened.

I had a bunch of meetings for my volunteer work with 4-H that took me back to the university where I used to work. It is always fun to go back and see some familiar faces and visit old haunts.

Then I ran into my good friend Laurie. She and I shared an office for seven years, and we had some great times together but we haven't always stayed in touch. Hugs, ohmigoshes, and a flurry of conversation ensued. Laurie grabbed my arm and said, "I'm having an impromptu birthday celebration at 5. Come! Please come!"
So I did.

It was the only thing I could do.

You see, Laurie and I both recently experienced a sudden loss. About the same time my cousin passed away, a good friend of hers committed suicide after a long battle with depression. The lesson was not lost on us. Life is short, so enjoy it. Say "I love you," spend time with family, take care of your friends, and for Pete's sake, if serendipity hands you the opportunity to celebrate with a friend TAKE IT! It will put a smile on your face.

Happy birthday, my friend!

© Trippin' Mama 2012

No comments: