Tuesday, November 22, 2011

He Chopped It!

Sweet, devilish Isaac.

As usual, he had trouble falling asleep the other night. As he often does, he got out and wandered into the living room where he usually finds his mommy and daddy. 

Only he didn't find us there. Jeff was in the shower. I was in the family room folding laundry and talking to Grandma Alice.

Instead, he found a pair of scissors.

Yep. You guessed it. He did a number on his hair.

Now, I must confess that I didn't actually notice his self-styled 'do until about noon the next day. Isaac was cursed with his mama's cowlicks and as I rarely brush the boys' hair it usually looks a little crazy.

(They are boys. I can get away without daily brushing, so I do! Something's gotta give around here.) 

Anyway, at first I thought Isaac had slept on his hair funny so the cowlicks were wilder than usual. Then I realized he had almost a bald spot on top of his head.

Since I had no idea he'd gotten his hands on a pair of scissors, I couldn't work out what had happened.

But it sure looked like a chop job.


So I asked Isaac if he had cut his hair. He said, "Yes."

I couldn't figure out when it had happened or how. When I let the boys have scissors I watch them like a hawk. If I didn't I would inevitably find curtains in tatters or a piece of furniture shredded beyond recognition.

Then suddenly I realized that he was in our kid-free zone unsupervised.

Aha! He fessed up that it happened in the front room the night before.

 
I fixed it up a bit today by cutting the front super short all the way across. I can't do much about the bald spot, but in two weeks it will be grown out enough to fix without a total buzz cut. I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

Against all odds this happened after our photo shoot and long enough before Christmas that it won't be obvious in any of those pictures either.

I followed the Mom Code and lectured him about how scissors are only for paper as I tried to fix the damage. When I was done he said, "THOSE scissors are for hair."

Then I had to start all over again by explaining that only Mommy and Miss Brooke use scissors on hair.

I think he got it. But just to be safe I moved my haircutting scissors to the top shelf of the linen closet.

© Trippin' Mama 2011

No comments: