Monday, November 7, 2011

What Traditions Will You Create?

This is the time of year when life suddenly seems to go on fast forward, doesn't it? I always feel like there's not enough time in the day, and with the Christmas ads already out and even some Christmas music in the air, it's hard not to feel the crunch.

But just like last year, I'm pledging to not let it all take me over. I want to keep things simple and enjoy the holidays with my family, starting with Thanksgiving.

Earlier this year Jeff and I went to a marriage retreat at our church. One of the lessons I took away was to be deliberate in creating memories and traditions with your family. The speaker's point was that most of what we do, we do without thinking. He encouraged us to be deliberate, to think about what was important to us as individuals, as a couple and as a family. Then choose to create traditions that reflect that.

This week we will be packing a couple bags with groceries for our church's Thanksgiving food drive. It's important to us to help others, and to teach our kids to be grateful for what they have. At five, Amelia already understands that not everyone has enough to eat, and she enjoys taking things to the food pantry to help others.

We are already talking about everyone helping make Thanksgiving dinner. The kids can't wait to help mash the potatoes. I know it would be easier for me to mash the potatoes myself, but I love the idea of everyone working together to make the feast. It's a little bit the idea that the journey is half the fun.

I also want to do a thankful tree or turkey craft where we write or draw what we are thankful for on the leaves or the feathers. I once read an article about the importance of teaching our children gratitude. It helps them be more compassionate and less self-absorbed. Those are great lessons in my book!

How about you? What traditions will you create this year? Share your ideas so we can all be inspired!

© Trippin' Mama 2011

No comments: