Monday, November 14, 2011

Oh, How Far We've Come!

Friday night I went to help a fellow triplet mom whose little ones are almost six months old. Another triplet mom and I helped with bathtime, the evening bottle and tucking them into their cribs.

I couldn't help but marvel at how far we've come. And at how much easier it seemed to deal with six-month-olds who didn't talk back, stomp their feet or scream about not wanting to go to bed.

Of course, I've slept a full night or two since our boys were six months old. When they were that little, sleep was still at a premium, so it certainly didn't seem easy at the time! Now it seems easier than the rambunctious chaos that reigns around here these days.
Here's my gang at 6 months old. Isaac, Sam and Alex.

The mama of the little ones is doing a great job. She just hasn't had a decent night's sleep or a chance to sit down in six months, and she was going a little crazy. We welcomed her to the club.

I do remember that one of the hardest things about the first year was that things changed so fast I could hardly keep up. Just when I thought I had things figured out, something changed. Time to move to a four-hour feeding schedule, time to start feeding solids, teething, crawling, WALKING!

These days the changes are fewer and further between. Still, I can hardly keep up with them -- the storm of questions, the testing of boundaries, the sheer physical energy.

I guess some things about this mom of multiples gig never change!

© Trippin' Mama 2011

5 comments:

Anne said...

I love your blog and I've read it since my triplets were a couple of weeks old. They are now 11 months old and I am dreading the next stage - WALKING!!! Lord help me...

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Anne, thank you for delurking to comment. I'm glad I haven't terrified you to the bone yet!

You'll do fine with the next stage and all stages to follow. One day at a time, right?

Christy

Anne said...

Christy, you have been a great source of encouragement. I'm from Kenya and there aren't any organized support groups of mums with multiples so blogs such as yours have been a great help.

One day at a time with each stage!

The Gausman Six said...

Christy -

I've commented once or twice before, but I echo Anne's sentiments; I love your blog.

Your trio is always one stage ahead of mine (mine were born May 2009) so I'm forever reading your blog watching for what's coming next!

We just transitioned to toddler beds (like last weekend) and I think I've pulled out half of my hair! On my way to read your archives to see if I can glean some wisdom.

Thanks for writing, sharing & giving hope to fellow triplet parents everywhere.

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Gausman Mama and Anne you are making me blush a bit here.

I'm glad we have a little cadre of support via this blog to get through the craziness that is triplets, and try to enjoy the journey!

I know you understand everything you read here in a way that non-multiples moms cannot.

My best to both of you. Keep reading, keep laughing, and most of all keep loving all those kiddos!