Monday, February 20, 2012

What Are You Up To?

Today a little blurb about my recent election (it was uncontested) as president of a volunteer board appeared in the paper. I got several nice notes from people today congratulating me on my position.

One came from a professional colleague I haven't talked to in a couple years. It said, "Congrats! What are you up to these days?"

I looked up at the kitchen table which was covered in the remnants of this morning's school project. N is for nest meant there was straw all over the table and the floor. (Kids had a blast, but my floor looked like we really do live in a barn. At least there wasn't any poop on it.)

I had one naked child, one princess and two wearing their sister's leotards and/or swimsuits.

My To Do list for the day included calling the doctor's office about extracting the sticker from Sam's ear, putting together a costume for Amelia's career day, fixing a couple of broken toys and torn books, finding a decent recipe for wheat free, dairy free, soy free sandwich bread, folding laundry, a pass at cleaning a bathroom and vacuuming. It also included some freelance work, board work, and a task to be completed for my multiples' group.

All I could think was, "I have no idea how to answer that!"

I am in turns, a cook, a maid, a teacher, a doctor, a costume designer, an entertainer, a repairwoman, a writer, a marketer, a leader, a follower, a wife, and a facilitator.

I set rules, I break up fights, I have the dickens scared out of me by my kids' antics at least once a day.

I am well versed in My Little Pony and monster trucks. I speak fluent Dora the Explorer, Umi Zoomi, Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Backyardigans. I know all the words to a stunning number of children's songs and books.

I can whip out a press release or polish someone else's text like no one's business.

In any given day I tell stories, sing songs, make three meals or more, pray, laugh, yell, and tickle.

I can segment an audience and bring targeted marketing to the table. I can collaborate with others or work alone (when I can get a chance to BE alone).

I know how to get out nearly every laundry stain known to man and I can help a three-year-old hold their scissors correctly. (Although I already regret ever letting them know there is such a thing as scissors.) I can make a meal that will please no one, even though they ate the very same thing yesterday and asked for seconds.

I can do a media buy and create a marketing plan.

I have magic eyes, and I can hear mischief from three rooms away. I can wolf whistle. I can hold hands with four kids at the same time.

I am a diplomat. I am a dictator. (Aren't all parents? Generally, I am a benevolent dictator.)

I strive to find balance. I savor the quiet. I write. I read. I laugh with friends. I cry with them, too.

I fail. I succeed. The ratio of those two varies widely from day to day.

I am full of energy and enthusiasm, and I'm completely and utterly exhausted.

How about you? What are you up to these days?


© Trippin' Mama 2012

No comments: