Friday, September 12, 2008

When It Rains, It Pours

The title of this post is not a reference to the weather, though it has been raining all day today. Nope, this post is about Murphy's Law.

First the oven went on the fritz. I don't know what happened. We ran the clean cycle, which worked great, but then it showed an error code and now the fan runs constantly because the oven "thinks" it's on, even though it's stone cold. We had a repairman out the other day, and the repair won't be too costly, but we need to wait two weeks for the part to come in. Shoot, we could have babies in two weeks! Ironically, the oven went out about the time I started getting a friend to organize volunteers to bring us meals post-babies' birthday. Don't worry, it will be fixed before we come home from the hospital!

Then this morning the credit card company called to check on some suspicious charges. I was quite confident that my husband had not spent $209 buying clothes online from American Eagle, nor more than $100 downloading music from Napster (though that was more likely) so I had to have them cancel the card and issue us new ones. I'm thrilled the credit card companies catch this kind of thing now, but not so thrilled to be sans the primary credit card we use for a week. Our credit cards are just a convenience for us, which is what makes it so inconvenient!

Finally, I went to my 10:30 a.m. eye doctor's appointment. When I waddled in the receptionist said, "Oh, are you Christy?" Followed by, "I meant to call you this morning. Your insurance carrier will only allow you one eye exam a year, and you aren't eligible for your annual exam until tomorrow. Sorry I miscounted."

Oh, no problem. It's not like I'm more than 7 months pregnant with triplets and getting around with all the grace of a crippled elephant.

Don't worry, I thought it rather than said it.

So, I'll be going back tomorrow. I'd prefer to go on a weekday since it won't be so crowded, but I don't think I'm in any position to be putting things off any longer than necessary.

On the plus side, it was a productive day in terms of sorting through the last of the craft things, cleaning out the china cabinet, and going through some high school and college memorabilia. I'm nesting vicariously through my mother. I sit and decide what stays and goes and she reorganizes and fills the Goodwill boxes. I think we're just down to the pictures now.

Speaking of pictures, I'm sure I should take photos of the neatly organized and labeled craft and sewing supplies, memorabilia boxes, children's clothes and kitchen cupboards. Things may never look this good again until the kids all leave home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amelia,
I talked to your daddy today and I think pretty soon you will be a big brother! No, no, no! You will be a big sister, Amelia! Then I will come and see you and I will give you a big, big hug!
Then you can show me those babies, ok.
I love you, Amelia!