Thursday, November 12, 2009

Jambalaya

In thanks to all of you for putting up with my technology-induced posting hiatus, I promised another recipe. Here it is. Perfect for those cool fall evenings.

Jambalaya
3/4 C. chopped onion
1/4 C. green pepper
1/2 C. chopped celery
2 cloves minced garlic

Saute the above ingredients in oil or butter.

Add:
2 C. cubed sausage or ham
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
1 10 1/2-oz. can chicken broth
1 C. uncooked rice
1 C. water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Add 1 1/2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp (I use frozen, tail-off so I don't have to do any of the work) and 1 tablespoon dried parsley. Simmer uncovered 7-10 minutes or until shrimp is cooked. Serves 8.

*Note: I never use Minute Rice, but if you want to try it, I would add it at the same time as the shrimp since it only takes 5 minutes to cook and you don't want a pot full of mush.

When I make this dish, I substitute carrots for the green pepper (breaking the holy trinity of Cajun cooking, I know, but the WBH hates peppers). I often leave out the thyme, too. Thyme has a very distinct taste, and while 1 teaspoon might not seem like much, it definitely changes the flavor of the dish. If you're unsure, start with a 1/2 teaspoon.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds good! Although I may have to do some alterations, since my husband can't stand the thought of seafood entering our house (I haven't told him about the fishsticks buried deep in the freezer). I just made your crockpot white chicken chili tonight and it was a success. Thanks for the recommendations!

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

No shrimp in your house, hmmm Emily? I'd try sausage and chicken then. I use smoked sausage, but my sister uses an Italian sausage for some spiciness. Either would pair great with chicken instead of shrimp. Hope your family likes it!

Suz said...

Wow, I'm imagining this makes a much smaller batch than the recipe dh enjoys. It takes TWO 6 quart stock pots to contain it all! I'll mark yours for our next recipe 'trial' night.