Friday, September 24, 2010

From My Kitchen: Molasses Cookies

These cookies were a staple at our house when I was growing up. We had them year round, but I think they are perfect for these cooler fall days.

Beware: This recipe makes a ton. As in ten dozen cookies. Did I mention I was one of eight kids? My mom made 10-12 dozen cookies at least once a week, and she couldn't keep the cookie jar full. If you aren't feeding a crowd, these cookies freeze really well.

I make these cookie chewy, though they are equally delicious if they are a little crunchy. The trick to keeping them chewy is to add just enough flour to make the dough stiff enough to roll into balls. And, of course, be careful not to overbake the cookies. I stick to the recommended 8 minutes, or even a minute less.

Here's the recipe:

Molasses Cookies
2 1/4 C. Crisco shortening
3 C. brown sugar
3 eggs
3/4 C. molasses
6 3/4 - 7 3/4 C. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
6 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. cloves
3 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. ginger

Cream the shortening and the sugar. Add eggs and beat until smooth and creamy. Mix in molasses, salt, soda, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Add the flour one cup at a time, beating thoroughly to incorporate. You may not need all of the flour. Add flour until your dough is stiff enough to be rolled into balls.

You can chill the dough for 15 minutes if it's a little soft. Roll the dough into balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place on baking sheets and flatten. My mom had a nifty little cookie press, but you can use the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. I have a glass with a pretty star on the bottom that I use. Or you can always smash  the balls in a crisscross pattern with a fork.

Serve these soft, chewy molasses cookies with a glass of apple cider and you've got the perfect fall treat!

Enjoy!

© Trippin' Mama 2010

1 comment:

Debbie said...

yummmm - I may have to try these out this fall. Thanks for sharing the recipe.