Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sweat Equity


Whew! The big kids' clothing sale is over. I thought I was tired Thursday night, but that was nothing compared to Saturday.

This year I helped worked at the sale so I could bring home 100% of my sales instead of 80%. My shift started at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, but I left the house at 6:15 so I could help a triplet-dad-to-be shop early at 7 a.m. My shift was 10:30 to finish, and finish was a loooong ways from 10:30 a.m.

The sale ended at noon, but then the volunteers had to sort through all the clothes that were left and organize them by seller number so consigners could pick them up. There were 171 consigners and not nearly enough volunteers. It took three hours to get everything off the racks and sorted into piles.

And that was just the clothes. Another group of volunteers sorted through all the toys and equipment.

When that was done we had to disassemble the racks and tables, load them on trucks, bag up the donations and load those and generally make it look like we'd never been there. It was a TON of work.

After sorting through thousands of items of clothes I came home never wanting to look at another piece of children's clothing again. Unfortunately, since I live with a number of small children who don't do laundry yet (slackers!) I have had to look at and handle a lot of kids' clothes in the past 24 hours.

I figure I sold about 75% of what I took to the sale. I am very happy with that. And Jeff and I got some great bargains on toys and a few clothes. The boys didn't need much thanks to hand-me-downs. I have to wait a couple weeks for my check, and since we didn't spend much I'm hoping to make a little money this time around.

Although breaking even wouldn't be bad either.

I haven't decided yet if getting an additional 20% is really worth all that time and effort. I'll decide that when I get my check!

© Trippin' Mama 2010

No comments: