Saturday, June 18, 2011

From My Kitchen: Greek Chicken Salad


See, I told you I'd make up for a bad blogging week today, and I have. What better way to end the day than with a fresh recipe for you to enjoy?

A week ago I hosted a big playdate. When you invite fellow triplet moms and their kids, every playdate is a big one. Everyone brought lunch for their kiddos, and I made lunch for the moms.

I wanted something light and easy, but different. I love chicken salad (not gloopy, heavy-on-the-mayo chicken salad, though!), but the cucumbers are fresh right now which got me thinking Greek. So I whipped up a little Greek chicken salad and served it in pita pockets. It was a definite hit.

This is one of those dishes you don't need an exact recipe for, though I've written down how I made mine. Just taste as you go until you like it. Here's the recipe:

Greek Chicken Salad
2 C. cubed, cooked chicken
1/2 C. sliced cucumber (I halved mine for easier eating)
1/2 C. diced sweet bell pepper
1/4 C. sliced Kalmata olives
6 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 C. Greek salad dressing

Mix all ingredients together. Line pita pockets with romaine lettuce and fill with chicken salad. Serve immediately.

If you have time, pour the dressing over the chicken the night before so it can soak up the flavor. Just before serving add the remaining ingredients and a little extra dressing as needed.

This is a great recipe to play with. You could add tomatoes, leave out the peppers, or try tzatzki sauce instead of Greek dressing. There are lots of delicious options!

Enjoy!
© Trippin' Mama 2011

No comments: