Thursday, January 15, 2009

Uni-tasking

Women are multi-taskers by nature, and moms are multi-taskers by necessity. Moms of multiples, even more so!

But sometimes I find myself multi-tasking out of habit rather than necessity. I find myself doing two or three or even four things at once, but only doing half a job (or less) at each.

So I'm taking a stand for uni-tasking. Oh, I know it's not always possible, but I am resolving to focus on the task at hand and quit doing several things at once out of habit rather than necessity.

I believe my world will be better, my family and friends happier, if I limit my multi-tasking when I'm interacting with them. When I'm feeding my babies I will feed my babies. When I play with Amelia, I will get down on the floor with her and enjoy our playtime. When I'm talking with a friend on the phone I will focus on the conversation instead of doing 10 other things at the same time. When I ask my husband how his day was, I will listen to his answer and have a real conversation.

Sure, I'll still run a load of laundry and deal with the insurance company's automated telehell while I unload the dishwasher and clean the kitchen. But, when it comes to spending time with my family and enjoying my children, I will not be distracted by my lengthy to-do list.

Multi-tasking may be a necessity, but it can also be a bad habit -- one that gets in the way of enjoying the many little pleasures and moments that make life worth living. We all deserve to enjoy life, so just for today -- even for just an hour -- set aside society's demands to do more, more, more and uni-task. Focus on something important in your life and give it your full attention. Your life will be richer for it.

2 comments:

Amy Lore said...

Oh you are so right, Christy. Wise wise wise

Kathryn said...

I am SO bad about this! I resolve to do the same. I know Eric will appreciate it.