Monday, January 18, 2010

Mind Over Body

So I finally took the plunge and went back to an organized exercise class. I haven't been in a class for almost two years. Two years during which my abs did this:


Here we are at 36 weeks, just 3 days before delivery.

During my break from organized exercise, I birthed three babies, nursed them for six months, and got up repeatedly night after night. Doesn't sound like much of a break, does it?

Anyway, I'm taking a Pilates class at the local Y. The Y that Jeff and I have been members of for almost three years. The past two weeks mark the first times EVER that I have actually exercised there.

Our membership was free through Jeff's job, part of their wellness plan. I guess my lack of participation points of a major flaw in the wellness plan, doesn't it? But considering I was either pregnant with triplets or getting them through their first year of life for the majority of that three years we've been members, I think I have an excuse or three.

Instead, we've taken advantage of the Y's programs for Amelia, especially swimming lessons and ballet. But now it's time for me to get it in gear.

I did Pilates for years before having kids, and after Amelia came along. I'm glad to be back at it. But most of all I enjoy having a regularly scheduled hour all to myself out of the house.

Even if it does leave me with aching muscles the next day.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That is awesome. Good for you. I really need to do this too. I need to stop making excuses and just do it.

And wow, I didn't realize that you went to 36 weeks. I made it to 34 weeks and 3 days but wow, 36 is fabulous!

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Just do it, Jen! If for no other reason because it gives you an hour that's all your own every week. Not your kids', your hubby's or your boss's. It's restorative!