Friday, March 5, 2010

Float Along with Us

I'm playing along at the Writer's Workshop again. This week's prompt: Tell us about your trip!

Smith River, Montana
May 2003

It was Memorial Day weekend 2003. We were in Montana to "float" the Smith River. Basically, you get in your raft and steer while you let the current carry you downstream for three days.

My sister and her husband, who live in Montana, had painted this idyllic picture of a lazy jaunt down the river with warm, sunny days, good fly fishing and gorgeous scenery.

The night before we put into the river it was 38 degrees. And we were camping. In a tent.

Floating the Smith River no longer seemed like such a great use of my vacation time. In fact, freezing to death seemed like a pretty good possibility. I hardly slept that night, and when I did I had disturbing dreams about being trapped in a meat locker.

Who would have guessed that by 10 a.m. the next day it would be 80 degrees and sunny? That's spring in Montana for you.


Although we never saw a fish, the trip was wonderful.


We had two perfect days of kicking along the river, stopping here and there to have lunch, hike and fish. We spent the nights in campsites with some of the best views in the world. The scenery almost made up for the open-air toilets. Almost.

At least there were toilets, even if I did have to announce to all of my fellow campers that I was headed for the loo so no one would come down the path and accidentally join me.

And the scenery was beautiful.


On our last day it started to rain, but we had just a short ways to go, so we put on our rain gear and smiled our way through it. And we were lucky enough to get this picture, because who doesn't look good in waders?


I like to call it "Montana Gothic." It's destined to become a classic.

© Trippin' Mama 2010

4 comments:

Aunt Mary said...

What Great memories.... maybe we can do it again someday- when the trips are 10 or 12 they will LOVE it!

Zoanna said...

I found you through Writer's Workshop. Wow, what memories you made in Montana. I so want to go there someday. Your kids are adorable.

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Aunt Mary, we'll have to take you up on it. You are right that the boys would love it. Amelia, too.

Zoanna, welcome. I hope you'll stop by again.

MrsHull said...

That sounds like a wonderful trip. The idea of floating down a river, carried along by the current, sounds so relaxing. Lucky you!