Wednesday, March 3, 2010

WFMW: Peanut Buttery Fix for Scratched DVDs

I love peanut butter. On toast. In cookies. Heck, straight out of the jar! When I was pregnant with Amelia I ate 18 pounds of peanut butter -- that was six, three-pound jars. No joke.

So, yes, I think peanut butter is great stuff, but when I saw a tip that you could use it to fix a scratched DVD, I was skeptical.

Well, I've got scratched DVDs. (Of course I do. I have kids. And, it's always their favorite DVDs that get scratched and won't play properly.) And I've always got peanut butter, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The directions said to rub peanut butter onto the disk then buff it off with a coffee filter.

I picked a DVD that barely plays at all, figuring I had nothing to lose. I smeared it with a little extra crunchy Jif and buffed away. (A little goes a long way, so unless you want to buff and wipe the stuff off forever, go easy.)

For the record, I think creamy would have been easier to work with, but we are not a creamy peanut butter family. I just tried to work around the peanuts, and not rub those across the DVD. Figured that might make matters worse.

I used a paper towel to buff, since I'm not a coffee drinker. I finished the job with one of those lens cleaning cloths for glasses and camera lenses.

I made sure ALL of the peanut butter was cleaned off so I wouldn't ruin the DVD player, and tested out my handiwork.

IT WORKED!

I don't know what surprised me more: that peanut butter fixed the problem or that one of those annoying email forwards I get all the time actually proved worthwhile.

And as a bonus, I got to lick my fingers while I worked.

© Trippin' Mama 2010

9 comments:

Candi said...

Thanks for visiting! I've never heard of PB fixing DVD's but I'll try it! My great-grandaddy swore toothpaste would mend scratches on a watch face...hmmm...

Katie said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! I cannot WAIT to try this! OH the $$ we could have saved ; )

Lynn said...

Wow, this is an amazing tip! You are a brave woman to try it :) but since it worked so well for you, you've inspired me to take the leap. Next time I have a scratched DVD, I'll be ready with my crunchy JIF.

Anonymous said...

Wow, gotta try that!

Suz said...

HOLY COW! Thanks for sharing - will try it on the next library audiobook that is skipping like mad!

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity said...

Oh my goodness! A forward WORKED?? Now I'm a little afraid of all those chain letters I deleted... ;-) Great tip, and thanks for sharing!

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

Entertaining blog. Loved reading your recent posts. I will definitely be checking in often!
Our blogs are semi-similar; I'd love your feedback about mine, if you have a sec!
www.TodaysCliche.com. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I'm going to try it!

Shannon said...

This would have been helpful earlier today. I have to try it! Thanks for sharing.