Friday, May 28, 2010

From My Kitchen: Fresh Vegetable Salad


It's Memorial Day weekend and barbecue season is upon us. Here's a great fresh salad to serve alongside your ribs and brats. I always serve this at Easter, and we eat it often during the summer months. I usually chop all my broccoli and the full head of cauliflower and use the extra veggies to make a stir fry the next day. Nothing like getting two dishes out of one prep session!

I don't usually like salad with mayo-based dressings, but the addition of sugar and Parmesan cheese tones down the mayo taste to my liking. This will keep well overnight, but it won't last two days, so eat up!

Fresh Vegetable Salad
2 C. broccoli
2 C. cauliflower
1/2 C. chopped celery
1/2 C. chopped green pepper
1/4 C. grated carrot
1 C. mayo or Miracle Whip
1/4 C. sugar
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
2 bacon strips, cooked & chopped (or use pre-cooked real bacon pieces, not Bacos)

Toss veggies in a large bowl. Combine mayo, sugar and Parmesan and pour over veggies. Toss to coat. Cover and chill. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving.

Enjoy!

© Trippin' Mama 2010

No comments: