Monday, May 31, 2010

On Memorial Day: Thanks to Those on The Home Front

On this Memorial Day I want to thank those military spouses who stay behind and keep things running on the home front.

I've just recently been on my own with the boys for about a week while Jeff's was gone.

It was tough. Tough, man!

I was totally wiped at the end of every day. And it was only for a week.

My hat is off to those of you who do this day after day after day while your spouse protects and defends our freedoms. Your sacrifice is tremendous, and too often overlooked. Thank you isn't nearly enough.

So today I'm thinking of people like my high school friend Tiffany, whose husband is on yet another tour of Afghanistan. Every day she works full-time and then takes care of three kids: a four year old, a one year old and a four month old.

Tiffany lives several thousand miles away from me, and I can't help her out from afar they way I'd like to. I'd like to make her a meal or watch her kids so she could run errands. Or just have her over for a meal and some adult company for a while. Instead, I do what I can, and I pray that she has good people in her life who are looking out for her every day.

If you know a military spouse who is holding down the fort here at home, won't you please say "thank you" to him or her? Consider lending a helping hand by dropping off a meal or a gift card for a local restaurant. Volunteer to watch the kids for a couple of hours so mom or dad can get a break or at least get the grocery shopping done. Offer to help out with carpool duties. Anything you can do will be appreciated.

Today we remember all the men and women who have served this great country. Let's honor their service with a service of our own: taking care of the spouses and families of those who are currently taking care of America. It's the least we can do.

© Trippin' Mama 2010

No comments: