Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Snot and The Sound of Music

That title got your attention, didn't it? Well, good, because that's pretty much my excuse for not posting much in the past two weeks.

We have entered week three of sickness in this house, and I think we're finally winding up the fun. Fevers are all gone, and we're left with just two snotty noses -- Alex's and mine. I finally succumbed to the cold after surviving two weeks on four hours of sleep a night. It was really just a matter of time.

And that's where The Sound of Music comes in, oddly enough. I did note earlier that I was headed to my sister's for a girls' weekend. Of course, as soon as I got there, I relaxed a little and that's when I got sick. Thankfully I wasn't too bad, so I still enjoyed the break. And thankfully everyone was on the mend here, so the nights weren't too rough for Jeff either.

My mom, my sisters (Minus Cathy. We missed you!), and I did a little shopping, toured the state capitol, enjoyed The Sound of Music at a local dinner theater, and then took a class in bird identification at the arboretum. The bird watching class was proof of what we always say: We can have fun doing anything! We learned a little something, and then took a walk through the arboretum.

We saw a few birds on our walk -- wild turkey, cedar waxwings, robins, blue jays -- but the birds were upstaged dramatically by the scenery. The maple woods, especially, were gorgeous! I took tons of photos, and I'm sure none of them will do justice to the yellow light that filtered through the canopy of trees. Some things you just have to enjoy in the moment, don't you?

All in all, it was a very nice break, and the opportunity to sleep all night long came at just the right time. I came home ready to tackle the last round of sickness and to get my boys all back on track sleeping at night!

I'll try to post some photos later this evening, but we are having some technical problems with our main laptop, too, so no guarantees I can get that job done.

So, my apologies for the unscheduled interruption. Thanks for hanging in there and waiting on me to resurface!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Glad you got some rest and some "girl time" in! Good for you!