Friday, February 5, 2010

Assign Me A Dewey Decimal Number

Today I went to the library so I could participate in a conference call without interruption.

It was bliss.

I now want to live in the library.

It's quiet. It's well-organized. They have Wi-Fi and outlets for my laptop. The bathrooms were clean, and I wasn't responsible for cleaning them. I could comfortably sleep under or on one of the large study tables. As long as it's quiet, I believe I could sleep anywhere.

And then there are, of course, the books. Stacks and stacks of books waiting to be devoured in the peace and quiet.

Heaven on earth.

I have always been a reader and a big supporter of libraries. I just never appreciated them as a potential domicile until this point in my life. You know, the point at which I'm surrounded by mostly-controlled chaos and four small children who are both energetic and LOUD.

Reading to the boys and Amelia ~ April 2008 ~ 6 months old.

I must admit my reading has fallen way off since the boys came. I still find time to squeeze a few books in, but far fewer than I used to read, unless you count Goodnight Moon; Little Red Riding Hood; Moo, Baa, La-la-la and a host of other children's books.

I must admit that I love, love, love children's books, and I love, love, love reading to Amelia, especially now that she enjoys books with more of a story to them. (Seriously, the nonsensical baby books are enough to make the staunchest supporter of reading to kids want to chuck in the towel.)

We like to get a really close-up view of our books around here.

Here's a list of a few of our favorite books for preschoolers that we have checked out of our local library recently:

Yum, Yum, What Fun! by Mara Bergman
Snip, Snap What's That? by Mara Bergman
Eating Up Gladys by Margot Zemach
Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear by Emily Gravett
Will You Carry Me? by Heleen van Rossum
Sticky People by Tony Johnston
Granny's Dragon by Lisa McCourt
A Piece of Chalk by Jennifer A. Ericsson
My Father, the Dog by Elizabeth Bluemle
Gulliver Snip by Julia Kay
Monster Toddler by John Wallace

Since I doubt my local library would allow me take up residence, and my husband probably wouldn't approve of that move either, I'll have to content myself with more frequent visits to check out more great books like these. Maybe I'll even pick up a few things for myself.
© Trippin' Mama 2010

2 comments:

Lara said...

I'm with you.I frequent the library often for the same exact reasons you listed. My only problem is the lack of coffee available....But if I was living in that much coffee with that much rest, coffee might not be so important. Thanks for the laugh!!

Lara said...

oops it posted wrong it was supposed to say:
I'm with you.I frequent the library often for the same exact reasons you listed. My only problem is the lack of coffee available....But if I was living in that much quiet with that much rest, coffee might not be so important. Thanks for the laugh!!