Monday, August 23, 2010

An Animated Inferiority Complex


My kids are on a Calliou kick right now. For those of you fortunate enough to be oblivious of this particular brand of hell, Calliou is a PBS cartoon. The main character is a little boy named Calliou (pronounced caye-oo, in case you care). He has a sister named Rosie and a loving mother, father and grandma.

Calliou himself is tolerable. It's his mother I can't take. She's giving me an inferiority complex.

Calliou's mom is ever-patient, always gentle, and full of fun ideas. She never gets mad, never raises her voice, and is always helping Calliou learn and grow. ALWAYS.

Of course, to be fair, her children are almost perfect. I've never seen Calliou pitch a fit, refuse to go to bed, or pull his sister's hair. He's an easygoing, ever-cooperative child. His sister Rosie is blessed with an even temperment and a happy, if a bit incessant and annoying, giggle. She never has an ill-timed meltdown or hits her brother.

Still, despite all that and the fact that she's a cartoon, Calliou's mommy and her perfect parenting make me crazy.

I suppose it's no different than the unrealistic expectation that home and garden magazines set for us. Just like my house could look good enough for a photo shoot, I could be Super Mom long enough to pull off a 20-minute cartoon episode.Well, some days anyway. I certainly could do it if my kids would live up to Calliou's behavioral standards.

I'd like to see Calliou's mommy go a few rounds with my crew here in the real world. Now THAT would be a cartoon worth watching!

© Trippin' Mama 2010

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Calliou is sooooooo whiney! I can't stand it!

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Whew! Glad it's not just me, Chantal!

Alysia said...

Oh my God, I laughed through this entire post b/c we(Ben and I) can't stand Calliou!! The boys love it and it drives me nuts. Just the thought of the song makes me want to pull my hair out!