Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sam The Parrot


It would be an understatement of epic proportions to say that last night we didn't get very much sleep around here. The boys all have yucky, runny noses and kept waking up crying to be held. Amelia, thankfully, didn't wake up until about 4:30 a.m. when she had a bad dream.

By 5:15 this morning I gave up. I took Amelia and all the boys to the playroom, threw a bunch of blankets and pillows on the floor and we snuggled up. It was the only way I could hold everyone.

As Jeff and I were getting everything organized, we were trying to adjust the light so we'd have some, but not so much that everyone would be wide awake. (Ha! Someone put a couple dozen quarters in both Sam and Amelia, so they were ready to roll at 5:15.)

Anyway, at one point Jeff turned off the only light before I could turn on a lamp.

Out of the darkness came Sam's voice, in perfect cursing intonation: "Oh, damn it!"

Jeff and I began shaking with silent laughter. I know Sam learned the phrase from me one day a couple weeks ago when I was frustrated with Alex repeatedly getting out of his car seat straps. I only said it once, but Sam the Parrot picked it right up. He said it several times immediately after learning it. In a public place, of course.

"Damn it Alex. Damn it Alex." It was clear as a bell, and there was no way I could pretend Sam was saying something else. So I just gave him goldfish to stuff in his mouth.

Thankfully he hasn't said it since. Until the wee hours of this morning.

Turns out Sam not only learned the phrase, he also learned proper context for its use, too.

I'm so proud. What mother wouldn't be?

At least it gave us a good laugh just when we needed one.

© Trippin' Mama 2010

1 comment:

Lara said...

Thanks for the laugh. My proud Mommy moment with parroting was when I was sitting at a crosswalk waiting for an disabled gentleman walking to walk across. From the mouth of my 2.5 year old I heard "Jesus, buddy move it". Guess I've had some road frustration in their presence. FYI it only gets worse....