Friday, August 6, 2010

From My Kitchen: Ham and Cheese Biscuits

These biscuits have garnered me many a fan over the years. They use refrigerated biscuit dough, so they are fast and easy to make. The addition of a little apple is what makes them special.

I think this idea originally came from a Pillsbury Bake-Off Winner, but if memory serves, you had to flatten the biscuits and seal the filling inside. That's just too much work. These taste just as good with half the effort.

Here's the recipe:

Ham and Cheese Biscuits
1 C. cubed cooked ham
1 C. shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese
1/2 C. chopped apple
1 can refrigerated flaky biscuits

Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray. Separate the biscuits, usually there are 10, and press them into the muffin cups. Press the dough up the sides, leaving a well in the middle for all the goodies you are about to add.

Stir together the ham, cheese and chopped apple. You can peel the apple if you want, but I usually leave mine unpeeled for that rustic look. OK, I do it because I'm lazy, but they taste just as good! I beg you to use a real apple that has some taste, and not a Red Delicious. I'm partial to Galas and Fujis myself. I like either Swiss or a nice sharp cheddar, so I use whichever I happen to have on hand.

Fill each of the biscuits with the ham, cheese and apple mixture, pressing it into the dough slightly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 13-18 minutes, until golden brown.

These are great in the warm months served with a generous salad and fruit. In the cooler months I like to serve them for supper alongside a nice bowl of soup.


Enjoy!

© Trippin' Mama 2010

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Miracle of miracles, I actually have all of this stuff on hand. Will be making some of these today!