Monday, January 30, 2012

From My Kitchen: Honey Sauced Chicken

I must admit that food is not that appealing right now. I have promised Sam that I will try everything he tries, and while some of it is pretty good, some of it is terrible! I'm spending so much time thinking about what Sam can and can't eat and what I'm going to serve that won't bring tears, that it's definitely time to pull out the crockpot to feed the grownups in the house.

This chicken has a little bit of sweet and a little bit of heat. It was originally posted on Pinterest, but I tinkered with it a little bit to make it my own.
Honey Sauced Chicken
2 lbs. chicken (I used boneless skinless breasts, but boneless thighs or even split breasts would work.)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup chopped green onion
1/8 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, and place in crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 3 hours or on high 1 1/2 hours. When chicken is cooked through, remove from crock pot and cut chicken into bite size pieces. If you use split breasts, you could shred the chicken if that's easier than getting it off the bone to cut into chunks.
Mix 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch with a little water and stir into the sauce in the crock pot to thicken.
Return meat to pot and toss with sauce.
Note: To bake chicken as a 30 minute meal, (which is nearly impossible in my house anyway!) dice chicken and season both sides with salt and pepper. Spray a pan with nonstick cooking spray. Put chicken in the pan and pour the sauce over and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.

I served this up with brown rice and broccoli. Jeff ate his broccoli on the side, but I mixed mine in. Delicious!
Enjoy!

© Trippin' Mama 2012

2 comments:

Justine said...

Hi. I saw that in the recipe it called for soy sauce. I don't know if you fed it to Sam, but soy sauce has wheat in it, so sadly he couldn't eat if you were giving it to him. Just letting you know. That sounds good though!:)

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Thanks, Justine. None of my kids will eat this--even those who could. It's too spicy for them.

I know you can buy wheat-free soy sauce, but we're also taking soy out of Sam's diet, so no soy sauce! Also no garlic, and by them time you take those out and leave out the red pepper flakes, too, it's no longer honey chicken!

Your comment also makes me grateful we're dealing with sensitivity, not true allergies, because as you point out, wheat and lots of other ingredients pop up in lots of unexpected places.