Friday, June 20, 2008

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Amelia has a great children's book called The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It's by Eric Carle and it tells the story of a very little, very hungry caterpillar who eats and eats and eats his way through the book. At the end he's not hungry and he's not little either.

In the last two days, I find myself turning into the very hungry caterpillar. I have been forcing myself to eat because I know that I need to gain a healthy amount of weight to grow big, strong babies. But all of a sudden, I can't eat enough food.

Yesterday, I ate two scrambled eggs with toast, yogurt, an apple and a bowl of cereal -- all before lunch. At lunch I ate a salad, a ham and cheese sandwich and another apple. Then I ate an ice cream bar. Then I ate crackers and cheese. Then we had supper and I ate two pork chops, green beans and pasta. An hour later I ate a bowl of cereal. And I polished off the day at 9:30 p.m. with a tuna sandwich, chips and pickles.

Today was much the same. Within an hour of eating I was actually getting hungry and had to eat again. I ate and ate and ate and ate. There must be a growth spurt coming and look out -- I think it's going to be a big one!

At the end of the book, the caterpillar, of course, emerges from the cocoon as a butterfly. At the end of this, three new people will be emerging from the ever-expanding cocoon that I am becoming. Both miracles in their own right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see where you get the similarities but at least your beautiful before and after transformation. Comparing yourself to that book does make me laugh but caterpillars are weird looking! Just calculate your bill for yesterday times 3 boys and thats what you will be spending in about 6 years!!