Friday, August 29, 2008

A Post of a Different Color

Tonight instead of a post about the pregnancy, the babies or Amelia I want to talk about what will now be an historic presidential election.

Yesterday, Barack Obama was nominated as the Democratic candidate for president -- the first black man to be named a presidential candidate by a major political party. Today, Republican John McCain announced that Alaska governor Sarah Palin will be his running mate. As a result, no matter which lever you pull in the November election, you will be part of history. Finally, in 2008, America will put either a minority or a woman in one of the nation's top two offices.

I watched Gov. Palin's speech on television today, and cheered when she gave a nod to Hillary Clinton for putting "18 million cracks in the glass ceiling," and then went on to say, "We can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all!"

Now I would never vote for a candidate based solely on gender or color. But this year, every American has the opportunity to vote in favor of the candidate whose ideology and policies they like best, and either way that vote will be historic.

I had planned to get an absentee ballot since we'll have three newborn babies on our hands by November 4, but now I'm heading to the polls. There's no way I will miss my chance to cast a vote, in person, in such an historic election. I hope you won't either.

No comments: