Wednesday, August 13, 2008

You've Come a Long Way, Baby!

I stopped by my doctor's office to pick up my Glucola for tomorrow's glucose tolerance test. I parked in a reserved spot (the nurses told me they don't know who those are reserved for, so they may as well be reserved for a triplet mama!) and went in a different door to the hospital than usual. As a result, I wound up getting off the elevator near the NICU.

I couldn't help but think about our tour of the NICU way back in May, just about three months ago, and how getting to 28 weeks seemed almost impossible at that time. I was just 14 weeks pregnant and trying to absorb all of the information my doctors were presenting to me on everything that could go wrong and how our goal was to get to at least 28 weeks.

There were 28 week twins in the NICU the day we toured, and I remember thinking how impossibly tiny they were and praying that we could manage to somehow get the triplets to even that fragile stage. And now, here we are.

If the triplets were born today, they would still have lots of hurdles to overcome, but their chances would be very good. The goal has now been reset to 32 weeks, and that seems like a long ways off, but we are hoping and praying that things continue to go well and we'll get to that goal, too.

We can't thank all of you enough for your support and your prayers. Despite the days when my fear overtakes me and my faith gets shaky, I truly believe that God has given us these three little babies for a multitude of reasons. One of those is surely so we would come to understand just how blessed we are to have so many caring and faith-filled people in our lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is such an awesome God! My daughter and son-in-law are 18 weeks pregnant with triplets. We are using blogs such as yours as an inspiration for her upoming few months.
Praying for you here in Georgia. :)
Mary

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Thanks, Mary. I'm so glad that our story can be an inspiration to others. I will pray for your daughter and son-in-law and their three little blessings as well. I hope her pregnancy goes as smoothly as mine has gone.

Christy