Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"I am just amazed..."

Today I saw the doctor and had a big ultrasound to measure the babies. I am thrilled to report that my doctor's first comment was "I am just amazed at how well these babies are growing and how well you are doing."

Now that's what you want to hear!

At 26 weeks, the babies measure 1 lb. 15 oz., 1 lb. 14 oz, and 1 lb. 14 oz. We are thrilled to see those sizes and also excited that the babies are all the same size still. As singletons they would be in about the 45 percentile for weight, so for triplets they are doing fantastic. Remember that the average birth weight for triplets is 3.5 lbs.

I've gained 31 lbs., which is a little less than they want, but as the doctor says, the babies are growing fine so it's hard to argue with my weight gain. Blood pressure was great (108/70) and I'm holding up well, so my doctor told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing. Yay! Jeff and I are very excited by all of this good news.

Everything looked great, and we did capture profile pics of each baby. That probably won't happen again, as they are getting big enough that it's hard to measure and to see all the parts of each baby. We'll try to get those scanned in and posted.

We are rapidly approaching 28 weeks -- another important milestone, where viability will be up to 90 percent and the risk of long-term complications starts to diminish rapidly. At my next visit in two weeks I'll do the gestational diabetes test, and we'll have another ultrasound in a month unless something changes that warrants another close look at the babies.

I'm still hoping to carry to 36 weeks and have nice big babies, though it's definitely getting harder to carry all of them around already. But at the same time, as it gets harder I also have less time to carry them, too.

I know many of you have been praying for us during this journey. We appreciate every whisper in God's ear, and ask that you keep praying for us and the babies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to learn that all of you are faring so well through a taxing situation on everyone -- pregnancy can be complicated to say the least, and you're not exactly in a low-complication situation! Wow... 3 lbs is avg?

Anonymous said...

You are all doing great!! I love that! Still sending prayers which brought me to a few names I hadn't seen mentioned....for Girls, of course....Faith, Hope and Grace. Couple more boys....William and Jackson. Just fun!! Thanks for all of the updates. Hang in there.....so happy!! I get to go to camp this weekend...for the week. Even closer to God. Will send up special prayers for all of you! Love ya!!